Thursday 7 February 2008

For Immediate Release

 

WORLD AIDS DAY

THE LONG GALLERY, STORMONT:

SATURDAY 1ST DECEMBER 2007

 

 

Over 100 delegates from across the UK, Ireland and overseas will be attending The HIV Support Centre's awareness raising Conference on HIV and AIDS in Northern Ireland.

 

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has designated Saturday 1st December as World Aids Day and The HIV Support Centre is making huge efforts to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS in Northern Ireland.  Kieran Harris Chief Executive of The HIV Support Centre said "Sadly the rate of HIV infection continues to grow at an alarming rate with approximately two new diagnoses per week meaning that Northern Ireland now has the highest growth rate of HIV infection in the UK (per capita)."

 

The Conference will see the launch of The HIV Support Centre's new advertising campaign and will also focus on personalised stories from HIV positive people and their life experiences of living with HIV.

 

Kieran Harris added "This is a very important Conference and we are delighted that the Chief Medical Officer for Northern Ireland, Dr Michael McBride, is to be our keynote speaker.  The Centre would also like to thank the Health Promotion Agency and The Red Cross for all their help and assistance in organising the Conference."

 

Deirdre McNamee, Senior Manager for Public Health at the Health Promotion Agency for Northern Ireland, said: "We are delighted to be supporting The HIV Support Centre event on World AIDS Day. HIV and AIDS are a reality in Northern Ireland and we cannot afford to be complacent. In order to prevent the spread of HIV we need to become more informed and responsible for our own sexual health as well as ensuring those living with HIV and AIDS in Northern Ireland do not suffer from discrimination and get the support they need."

 

The Conference is being hosted by Carál Ní Chuilín MLA, Sinn Féin Health Spokesperson.

 

For further information on World Aids Day events please contact Maria Kinney or Cherie Davidson at The HIV Support Centre on 028 9024 9268/ info@thehivsupportcentre.org.uk or for support/information on HIV please contact The Centre (on the above number) or telephone the  Helpline on 0800 137 437.

 

PS As one of a number of events, leading up to World Aids Day, The HIV Support Centre will be releasing 300 red balloons at the front of Belfast City Hall at 12 noon on Friday 30th November with special guest Junior Minister from the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister, Gerry Kelly, MLA.

 

ENDS

 

Photocall for Red Balloon Release

A photocall featuring Junior Minister Gerry Kelly MLA and U105's Carolyn Stewart will take place at the front of Belfast City Hall at 12 noon on Friday 30th November 2007.  ALL PRESS WELCOME

 

Photocall for Conference

A photocall will take place at 10.45am in The Long Gallery, Stormont on Saturday 1st December 2007.

ALL PRESS WELCOME

 

 

For further information and comment please contact Maria Kinney or Cherie Davidson at The HIV Support Centre on 028 9024 9268 (9am – 5pm) or email maria@thehivsupportcentre.org.uk

 

 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


I am indeed very happy for my life; My name is Sonia Stevens I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 5 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR. Ben helped someone in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com).I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email him on (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com) or simply whatsapp him on: +2348144631509.He can also cure disease like Parkinson,Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes. Etc. You can reach me on email: soniastevens1995@gmail.com